13th Annual 8K for H2O
February 14, 2015 at 9am, Folly Beach, SC
Received before February 1st, 2015: $20.00
Received on/after February 1st, 2015: $25.00
(T-shirts for race day registrations available while supplies last.)
All current CofC, MUSC, Citadel, Charleston School of Law, and Charleston Southern students get $5 off. Valid ID must be shown for all students when packet is picked up.
Due to scheduling and course permits, the race is RAIN OR SHINE! No refunds. No exceptions.
Register for this years race now!
Schedule of Events
7:30 am • Pre-registration packet pick-up
8:00 am • Late registration begins
9:00 am • 8K run start
9:15 am • Silent auction opens
10:30 am • Awards ceremony
11:00 am • Silent auction closes
The race takes place on the streets of Folly Beach. Check out the full course here.
Race Packets and T-Shirts
Race packets and T-shirts may be picked up on Race Day starting at 7:30 am at the registration tables located near the Folly Fishing Pier on Center Street. If you don't indicate a shirt size on your registration, you will receive a large.
Awards to top overall male and female finishers.
Age group awards to top male and female in each division: 17 and under, 18-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-69, 70+.
Food and beverages will be provided for all registered participants.
Mission and History
In 2003 the Masters of Environmental Studies Student Association (MESSA) was searching for a way to make a more tangible contribution to the Charleston Community. After much discussion, the issue of water quality was highlighted as one of key concern here in the Lowcountry. As a race on Folly Beach would bring people within visual distance of the issue, the 8k was developed to provide a fun and interactive method to raise funds for a local organization working toward this same goal.
- 2014 - 12th annual race! $4,200 was raised for Water Missions International!
- 2013 - 11th annual race! Despite a rainy day, donated over $4000 to Shem Creek Fisheries!
- 2012 - 10th annual event! 150 racers & donated $4,000 to South Caroline Maritime Foundation
- 2011 - 200 racers & donated $6,600 to Charleston Waterkeeper
- 2010 - Over 200 racers & donated over $5700 to Lowcountry Environmental Education Programs (LEEP)
- 2009 - Over 300 racers & donated over $3000 to the Coastal Conservation League
- 2008 - Over 250 runner & $4000 donated to the Friends of the Edisto (FRED).
- 2007 - Over 200 racers & donated $2500 to Lowcountry Earth Force
- 2006 - Donated to Lowcountry Environmental Education Program (LEEP)
- 2005 - Almost 200 racers, $3000 raised and donated to Lowcountry Earth Force
- 2004 - Over 200 participants and $3800 donated to Lowcountry Earth Force
- 2003 - The first annual event! $2500 donated to Friends of the Edisto
Please contact MESSA at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions, would like to volunteer or sponsor for the 8K for H2O, or you need more information!